Pallor / Anemia
- Describe the anatomy and physiology of the hematopoietic system, including origin, function and structure of each major blood component
- Describe iron metabolism as it relates to heme production
- Classify hematologic disease in terms of production, destruction and consumption
- Describe the physiologic consequences to anemia
- Identify signs and symptoms of hematologic diseases
- Demonstrate an approach to the interpretation of a CBC and differential and iron studies
Overview & Foundational Knowledge
|Janus J & Moerschel S. Evaluation of anemia in children. American Family Physician 2010; 15(12): 1462-1471.
Good basic article with flow diagrams capturing diagnosis based on age and MCV.
Lumbar puncture instruction video (infant).
Virtual Patients or Cases
|PedsCases: A Learning Module for the Approach to Pediatric Anemia. Novak C, Forbes K, Gill P. PedsCases: a learning module for the approach to pediatric anemia. MedEdPORTAL Publications. 2016;12:10319.
Two part podcast on approach to pediatric anemia. Learning module includes short vignettes and self-test questions. Podcasts also available on PedsCases.com