Pallor / Anemia
- Describe the anatomy and physiology of the hematopoietic system, including origin, function and structure of each major blood component
- Describe iron metabolism as it relates to heme production
- Classify hematologic disease in terms of production, destruction and consumption
- Describe the physiologic consequences to anemia
- Identify signs and symptoms of hematologic diseases
- Demonstrate an approach to the interpretation of a CBC and differential and iron studies
Overview & Foundational Knowledge
|Janus J & Moerschel S. Evaluation of anemia in children. American Family Physician 2010; 15(12): 1462-1471.
Good basic article with flow diagrams capturing diagnosis based on age and MCV.
|Hutter JJ. Childhood leukemia. Pediatrics in Review 2010; 31(6): 234-240.
Note: ANNL = AML.
Lumbar puncture instruction video (infant).
Paediatric Health Supervision