Well Child Care(newborn, infant, child)
Crying / colic
Discipline / Parenting
Growth – Head circumference, Height, Weight, Body mass index
Healthy active living
Nutrition & Feeding
Social-economic / cultural / home / environment
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
- Describe the use and limitations of tools to support periodic health supervision
- Describe the principles of screening tests
- Describe how cultural values influence health and health care interactions
- Take a family history to identify increased risk for inherited conditions and discuss mechanisms and patterns of inheritance
- Describe the nutritional requirements for growth and maintenance of health for infants, children and adolescents
- Compare breast and formula feeding
- Describe how vaccines work and the diseases they prevent
- Summarize the benefits and contraindications of immunizations
- Describe the epidemiology of childhood injury
- Describe age-related measures to reduce injury in the pediatric population
- Identify risk factors for hearing impairment
- Describe normal dental development
- Describe the pathophysiology of and risk factors for dental carries and gingival disease
- Explain the concept of reinforcement and factors that influence learning and behavior
- Describe sleep physiology and stages, sleep needs for different age groups, and best practices for sleep hygiene
- List the effects of sleep deprivation
- List risk factors for and strategies that decrease the risk of Sudden Infant Death
- Describe the concept of developmental surveillance
Overview & Foundational Knowledge
|Effective discipline for children
Canadian Paediatric Society Position Statement (2004, 2013) *This is recommended as a MUST READ resource*
|Goldenring, JM & Rosen, DS. Getting into adolescent heads: An essential update. Contemporary Pediatrics 2004.
Article in Contemporary Pediatrics, available through the AAP. Lengthy but excellent article. Provides great examples of questions for the adolescent HEADSS history (included in a table within the article).
|Prager, LM. Depression and suicide in children and adolescents. Pediatrics in Review 2009; 30 (6): 199-206.
Overview article on depression and suicide in children and adolescents.
|Hunt, CE & Hauck, FR. Sudden infant death syndrome. Canadian Medical Association Journal 2006; 174(13): 1861-1869.
Review article on SIDS.
|First Episode Psychosis: An Information Guide
Information on first episode psychosis from CAMH (Centre for Addiction and Mental Health).
|Bagnell A. Anxiety and separation disorders. Pediatrics in Review 2011; 32: 440.
Overview of common pediatric anxiety disorders with differential diagnoses.
|Kenyon C et al. Revisiting the social history for child health. Pediatrics 2007; 120: e734-8.
Overview of the social history and the IHELP pneumonic.
|Rourke Baby Record: Evidence-based infant/child health maintenance guide
*This is recommended as a MUST READ resource*
|Grieg Health Record
Grieg Health Record for ages 6 to 17 years; covers mental health, adolescence, social and home context. *This is recommended as a MUST READ resource*
|Foster, HE & Jandial, S. pGALS – A screening examination of the musculoskeletal system in school-aged children. Arthritis Research Campaign No. 15, 2008.
Brief article outlining an MSK screening examination with excellent visuals/images.
|Public Health Agency of Canada: Immunization Schedules
Immunization schedules including catch up schedules and provincial schedules, in English and French.
|Healthy active living: Physical activity guidelines for children and adolescents
Canadian Paediatric Society Position Statement (2012). *This is recommended as a MUST READ resource*
|Pediatric Blood Pressure Tables
Tables of normative values (percentiles) for pediatric blood pressure based on age, gender and height percentile. Mandatory resource for evaluating blood pressure in pediatric patients.
|The Well Child Visits
Seven-minute video on the components of the well-child visit history and physical exam. Search site for “well child visits” under “pediatrics.”
|Calculating Calories for Infant Feeding
Outstanding six-minute video on calculating calories and volumes for infant formulas and breast milk. Search site for “calculating calories” under “pediatrics.” Uses both mL and ounces.