Adolescent Health Issues
Psychosocial history (HEADDSS)
Sexually transmitted infections
Substance use and abuse
- Recognize adolescence as a unique developmental phase of the paediatric population
- Describe the typical and atypical timing and progression of sexual maturation
- Conduct a structured adolescent psychosocial history
- Describe factors that positively and negatively impact adolescent health
- Describe risk factors for and the impact of high-risk behaviours on adolescent health
- Describe the physiologic consequences of disordered eating
Overview & Foundational Knowledge
|Goldenring, JM & Rosen, DS. Getting into adolescent heads: An essential update. Contemporary Pediatrics 2004.
Article in Contemporary Pediatrics, available through the AAP. Lengthy but excellent article. Provides great examples of questions for the adolescent HEADSS history (included in a table within the article).
|Goldstein MA, Dechant EJ & Beresin EV. Eating disorders. Pediatrics in Review 2011; 32(12): 508- 520.
A review article about important history and physical findings in eating disorders as well as the complications and management of anorexia bulimia.
|Grieg Health Record
Grieg Health Record for ages 6 to 17 years; covers mental health, adolescence, social and home context. *This is recommended as a MUST READ resource*